Wednesday 8 June 2011

Day 17 - Tranpani & Palermo

No internet tonight (Monday 6 June).

There wasn’t a ferry yesterday (Sunday) evening, which meant I got another day in Sicily (feels like a second home). Time to hone my Italian riding style i.e. ignore all I’ve been taught, take the racing line at your peril, give as good as you get, ride like a UKAdvanced Motorcyclist and your not going to survive.You move to the outside line, they undertake. You move to the inside line they overtake. You leave a gap in front, they fill it etc.

Spent the day getting my clothes washed and seeing the sights that the West of Sicily has to offer around Trapani and Masarla. We passed the air force base and civil airport, both of which had plenty of NATO aircraft of all types. Re-fuelling planes, AWAX and fighters. We saw a few heavily laden euro fighters fly off on their sorties. Probably going to see if Mr. Gaddafi was at home and download their mega bits.

The mountain that dominates Trapani has an ancient town at the top called Erice. For centuries before Catholicism, Erice used to be ruled by a high priestess and hundreds of her priestesses. They worshiped the goddess Venus in a temple and men were slaves to their love. Nothing changes then ;-).

Sergio took me to a local travel agent and I booked a ticket for the 22:00hrs ferry from Palermo to Genoa with a (non-sharing, you have to specify otherwise you might get an adventure you weren’t expecting) cabin. The sailing is 20hrs but means I can be traveling while sleeping and hopefully recoup some lost time. It means skipping the return ride up through Italy but, I think a saw enough priestesses by the side of the road on the way down. I won’t miss the triple high Armco, narrow lanes and dark cold tunnels of the autostrada.

We visited the salt lagoons and picturesque windmills that power the pumps to drain the lagoons to expose the salt.

We rode a little further on and watched the kite surfers at Santa Maria where International competitions are held. This is where the cool people hangout, with their new VW T5 camper vans, sexy chicks and Hawaiian gear flags.

At 20:00hrs I said goodbye to Sergio and hatched a plan (like I’ve ever had one of those) that maybe get the lads (and ladies?) out on a trip to Sardinia or Corsica next year and meet-up (anyone up for that?)

Mileeta loaded with fresh picked lemons, Sergios fathers olive oil and local wine, I rode the 60 miles to Palermo ferry port.

Got my ticket validated at the port office, boarded ‘La Superba’.

I collected my cabin card key and settled in. Then thought I’d go for a wander around the ship, fine, nice ship, very plush for a ferry more like a cruise liner (I imagine). The problem arose when I went to return to my cabin. What was the number? 8323? No clue on the card key. I knew it was deck 8 and an inside cabin on a corner of a block. Left the bloody Tom Tom and maps in the cabin too! Halfway around Europe and I can’t find my cabin! I couldn’t find it, or anyone to ask, for over half an hour, still only 19 and half hours to go.

If I feel up to it, I have a new mission in mind, before returning home to my wife, daughter and son who, although I’ve been corresponding, I do miss x x x

2 comments:

  1. Actually some of the with mills are for pumping the water into the salt lagoons. The water the evaporates and in september they collect the salt. Some othe windmills are to work/grind the salt by moving huge stonewheel as sandwich with salt in between

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work. kids bike are love

    ReplyDelete